Tuesday, August 24, 2010

CV Day 1: part 2. Ralph McQuarrie Collection

Continuing with Day 1 I'm posting the Ralph McQuarrie Collection. George Lucas may have been the genius with the story, but Ralph made it come alive. He's the reason I went to art school! So, in honor of my inspiration and favorite artist, here is my tribute to RM:

Yesterday I posted the closeup of this painting of the cantina.


A very early pen drawing of my favorite character, Artoo.


The Christmas card that never was (I really like it!).


Of the several iterations of the ESB logo, this was my favorite.


Even the table crew of the RM exhibit liked how my arm reflected off of the glass. Let's just say I'm playing with the Falcon...











This was a deleted scene/concept of Vader's palace on a fiery planet. Maybe the inspiration for Mustafar??







I think the droid room got the rebel troop transport down pat based on this closeup of a drawing of Yavin.




The now famous concept drawing of C-3PO and R2-D2.







This explains the drawing above:


C-3PO concept head. I've always felt he was the son of the robot in Metropolis. Guess this proves his lineage. (love the mohawk)




RM also did artwork for Raiders of the Lost Ark. Here is a page from the "library" book Indy is researching from. The bottom says nothing, just a graphic artist's trick of making it look like old print. Here you can see RM's mastery of the human form. Someday I'll master his techniques as well.
Hope you enjoyed this little tribute. Tomorrow I'll post the last of Day 1 photos.
Until next time,
Jawa Jaka

No comments: