Sunday, July 27, 2008

Futaba, Finally!

After lots of research and much debate, I finally purchased a Futaba 10 channel R/C with auto frequency lock (or at least that's what my guy at Colpar called it). It searches for frequencies not being used in the area and locks on it. No crystals needed, no asking everyone else with a droid/robot in the area "what frequency are you on?". I bought the helicopter version as it had a smoother non-ratcheted throttle control. As a pilot I have never liked the so-called ratcheted throttles. Most throttle controls have a locking mechanism anyway that is checked before take off. Personally, I have much better control with smoother throttles (and I just like 'em, so there!).

Bill, my guy at Colpar (and the nicest most knowledgable salesman you'll ever meet), also sold me one inexpensive $10 servo with plastic gear and one $30 servo with metal gear, just so I can try them both out. Sometime this week I'll get the holes drilled in the Rockler, finish putting together the dome, and try out the servos. Bill gave me a list of things I need to write down so I can get the speed controller. He didn't want me to buy one yet without knowing some stuff, like weight of dome, how fast I want it to spin, etc.

Other than this big purchase, not much else in droid building. I've been asked to give a panel on my droid during MileHi Con, but only if I can get a spot on Saturday (I work Sundays). If plans go well, I'll be sharing my panel with two others: one guy will speak on vacuum forming and my friend will be showing basic leathermaking. The three of us are calling it Propmaking 101. Ummm, jedi leather belts, simple $10 vacuum form table, and my mega-thousand dollar ultra R2.... this should be very interesting, if plans go well.

Until next time,
Jawa Jaka

No comments: