Thursday, July 3, 2008

Building Update

Well, here's what I've done this month.

Got the legs and ankles painted and put together, including nice new shiny shoulder shims. Still no shoulders, though. Got all the parts for the shoulders, just need horseshoes. Same hammered gray as the panels.

Got two of the HP holes cut out. I'll get the third one on top after Osfest. My friend Scott lent me his hole cutter drill bits. The 2.5" cutter was perfect. Just need to go slow and steady, which wasn't too easy to do on thin metal. Lots of sanding later, and I've got two great holes. HP's will get installed this weekend.


Two coats of gray auto prime on the steel feet.

Lots of parts to put together.

And after three days of sanding/grinding down the steel in the ankle channel of the foot, I was finally able to put a foot on an ankle and attach the whole thing to a leg. I'm still grinding down the other foot. Seems the steel feet ankle channel is about 1/16" too narrow, even with the paint sanded off. Ankle and foot are a very very tight fit, so don't know how this will effect 2-3-2 effect later. At least it's on.... Doesn't the foot look great? Priming first sure helped alot.

Another view. The foot was tilted backwards, but when I sat AL up straight and planted the foot on the ground, the foot seemed to automatically tilt forward. The foot sits correctly now. I did put a piece of tape on the front of the other foot to tell me which way to tilt the ankle.
This weekend: finish skins (panels all cutout and painted, just got to put them back on the skins), install HP's, install other leg/foot/ankle, sand/grind/install middle foot, install power couplers/coin returns/coin slots, paint some of the bronze parts (having trouble with airbrush so I might not be able to get to that until after Osfest - bummer), install utility arm rails and arms (takes fifteen minutes), and pack. Well, I've gotta have clothes for Osfest. LOL
Until next time,
Jawa Jaka

1 comment:

Britfest said...

Now that is an update! LOL

You have gotten a lot done lately!

See ya in 6 days!