Sunday, May 2, 2010

I'M IN! DZ 5905

I am now DZ 5905 (that's a 501st designation for those that don't know). After a year of improving and trooping I finally got approved. So, I'm now one of Vader's "spies". I'm also applying on the Rebel Legion for dual membership (a jawa double agent? hmmm... ya never know). I think the significance of the 5905 is as follows:
5 droids to sell, 9 potential buyers, 0 sales, still got 5 droids to sell. heehee

Yesterday I did my first official troop at a new con in northern Colorado: CamCon. It looked like it was promoted as an anime con with anime films and artwork, but it ended up more of a comic con with anime films. We set up the Hoth set for photo ops but no one really showed up. Gil Gerard and Erin Grey (Buck Rodgers, the two have traveled together for years) were the main guests. Not many panels (I think they skipped the 501st panel altogether), no other guests, nothing for the kids to do (thank god for Azman's scrubber droid, kids played with that all day), only one other fan club (some kinda Medieval fair group), a few comic book artists, and a couple authors. Not much there, very poorly run (by a business man who had no idea how to run a scifi con), but has potential. Senator Palpatine will be watching the future of this very carefully...

This is the only official pic authorized to take, one photo on one camera. It was announced rather loudly by the organizer that any other cameras going off were going to be charged $40. Another slipup that alerted me to his ignorance in scifi cons (the other was him wearing a business suit, and answering the question "what is the target audience" with the reply "13 and up". Scifi has no age limit, we just wanted to know what this con was about).
Erin and Gil with the Mountain Garrison


Unil next time,
Jawa Jaka (er... DZ 5905)

No comments: