Sunday, February 28, 2010

Dome work

I got a lot done on the dome yesterday at Cal's place in Loveland. He has a really large studio space that the local builders can work in. He also let's us work on costumes and other props. So, what exactly did I get done? After an almost near disaster with the hole saw cutter (don't ask), Cal took me to Ace for another drill bit. A circle cutter bit, to be precise. Much better than the beefy teeth on a hole saw. I wish I had known about this cool little tool sooner, it would have saved me some grief! One thing I've learned: alum builders become tool collectors and experts pretty quick.

Anyway, got both PSI holes cut out along with the third top HP hole. I also cut out the logic display squares after learning the proper use of my dremel. After the motor started smoking, Cal cooled it off and showed me about the RPM's (something I never knew before). Now, I'm just another dremel queen! LOL I was able to cut stuff out of my dome really fast and a lot more accurate. I did a lot of sanding around the rear logic to make the logic surround fit. I still am off a couple hairs, but I'll be able to get that and the fronts done this week. Hopefully I'll also get the stand-alone 9-volt battery PSI lights in this week, too. Haven't done too much soldering practice but will get back to that soon.

I also bought a few different casters for my center foot to try out (I'll return the rest once I know which one I'll keep). Since I can't find 5" rims with gears for my 5" pneumatic tires, I've decided to put the 6" ones back on for now. Later I want to try cutting of the gears and welding them onto the 5" rims that came with the tires (gotta find a really good welder). I've also decided to get some 3" casters or ominiballs for the front of the feet for stabilization and steering. I have two weeks to put my foot drives and remote together for the robotics event in Omaha. Otherwise, AL will just sit and look pretty as usual (OK, better than usual since he'll have his dome mostly complete with the third HP, logic surrounds, and PSI's in place).

Until next time,
Jawa Jaka

1 comment:

Britfest said...

I hope you get AL moving before you come down!

Or you can come down the night before and I can help you with AL :)