Monday, July 6, 2009

Center Vents

Disclaimer: Camera needs professional cleaning, so NO teasing about hair/dust/etc on my photos.

I've been lagging in the blogging world as I continue to make my big move. Everything's in the house, just need lots of time to unpack. Meanwhile, I worked on my center vents. I took 80 grit sand paper to get the watermark dullness out of the Waterset vents. Then I used a medium course sand paper with my dremel to sand it down even further. A little polish paste with fine 180 grit on my dremel made them shiny! The louves had to be sanded down a bit to make them fit in the surround (more discussion on this on the astromech.net boards since I'm not the only one with a fitting problem). After getting everything fitted together, I used aluminum foil tape (found in the duct tape section) to tape everything together. You have to really look hard to see the tape, and I don't think anyone will look that closely, except other R2 builders, and they probably don't care....
Left, not sanded. Right, sanded. BIG difference.
Side view of how they go on the droid. You can really see the difference.
Bottom vent fitted and taped together. Not bad using foil tape...
Next week I'll be in Omaha for Osfest. I'm trying to make the big push to get AL walking/rolling. This weekend I'll definitely put in the R/C and hopefully I can get the Big Lots wheels to fit into the motor mounts. Wish me luck!
Until next time,
Jawa Jaka

No comments: