Sunday, May 11, 2008

Broken Foot

Well, I did it again. I had an accident of great proportions that has greatly limited my social and volunteer life: I broke my foot on my back porch step Saturday morning on my way out for a trail project. I managed to drive my truck full of food and drinks up to the project site north of Boulder CO, where several volunteers unloaded my truck, then a volunteer drove me to the local county hospital. After looking at X-rays, the doctor made an astounding announcment, "Yep, it's busted!". I'm now in a rigid boot cast and crutches for the next 4 to 6 weeks, possibly more. I had the same volunteer drive me back to the project site where I held a short meeting with my cook crew and several others. It was disheartening to hear that I am now pulled off of all the other trail projects I signed up for this summer. It's for the best, but that gives me more time for AL. I promise not to break his foot!

Progress: I have the outer skin panels cut out. I'm practicing with my new airbrush, but I think I need a bigger nozzle for what I want to do. I'm painting the coin slots and utility arms the same brilliant bronze I painted the radar eye. I might also do the octagon ports the same color. I also have to decide which door panels to paint the hammered gray. Need to get the door hinges (probably robart) to start figuring out the doors.

In a previous post I mentioned Colpar Hobbies. They're fast becoming my favorite store (right up there with Attactix, a minis game store where I buy all my Star Wars minis game pieces). Colpar has an RC section in the back of the store I never noticed before. They have a selection of Futaba controllers with various prices, along with a back wall full of servos, motors and other electronics. I talked to the RC expert. He's pretty excited about my R2 project and wants to help with the electronics part. If I get the Budget JEDI system working, he'll help me with the RC/motor/servo aspect of it. One great thing about AL, I keep making friends who want to actually help! AL is certainly better than a puppy dog (well, not quite. I still miss my Lady, what a great loving terrier dog she was!). At least I have my two cats, Fritz and Smokey (my ALTA).

Until next time,
Jawa Jaka

No comments: